Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Run, walk...fartlek?

So, I learn, against my better judgement, I like running.  Whaaat?!  

I decide, I should do more of it.  I research the benefits of it, how often do people do it, what do you have to do to build endurance, distance, speed...

Tempo runs, long runs, and my fav: fartleks.  WTH?  I thought I had stumbled across the easiest sport in the world, that I could easily just meld into and eventually be a little better at it with some practice.  As it turns out, there's programs.  And programs.  AND PROGRAMS about daily, weekly running habits! 

My whole life I spent a lot of energy not having to be energetic.  For example, since I was in Marching Band, that counted as my PhysEd credit and I didn't have to take gym.  (Thank GOD).  So imagine my surprise that I actually like this jogging/running thing, and love the literature even more!  Runner's World magazines and website is one of my fav sources.  After all, turns out I need to know the difference between a tempo run, a long run, and...a fartlek.  

But...does the novice runner need fartleks? Is me just going and trying to get my 2 miles in every day count for anything?  Will it help me get faster the first anniversary of my first 5K in less than 4 weeks now??  (It's not a tough goal to beat.  Just have to be under 46:13. HA!)

No comments: