Friday, June 28, 2013

5K Eve...

It's here:  the one-year anniversary of the very first race I ever ran.  The "Run The Plank 5K, 3 Miles of Faith."  Appropriately titled, as last year I thought I would die trying to finish it.  I remember in my "training" I was still at the Run 4 min/Walk 2 min approach.  I'm surprised I didn't run into more people, as when I was running I was staring at my watch willing those 4 minutes to go by faster!

This year is different, though.  I have finished 35-minute runs (still jogs, really) without stopping to walk, but...my fears are getting the best of me and I'm doubting if I can finish tomorrow without stopping.  That, as well as my time, is really my goal for this race.  Last year's race, as I've mentioned before, was 46:43.  Certainly I'll come in under that this year...I just really hope it's under 35:00.  That'd be kind of aggressive for me, but...it's my desire anyway.  Last weekend I ran 3.2 miles in 35:11, but had paused for 2 minutes, so...does that count?? At any rate, I'm truly excited for this race.  The fact that I'm even looking forward to it means I'm doing better than last year, for goodness sake!

I read recently of the importance of your mantra to get you through to the end.  Runner's World wrote an article (The Magic of Mantras) with a formula to create your own positive, inspiring mantra if you don't already have one.  Do you?  I really want a meaningful phrase, but felt kind of silly behind it because it's difficult for me to still believe... Even the simplest, "You've got this! You can do this!" begs the question..."Can I?  Are you sure??"  So.  I'm in the market for something that'll get me through, potentially highlight some hidden confidence...and well, make me a believer.  :)

I came across another article chronicling a woman who would remind herself to "run for those who can't."  I liked that one.  My grandma can't run, barely walk in fact.  I think about how she would like to move as fast as I am believing is my slow.  It reminds me I have the power to keep my feet moving forward, and to bear down and get it done!

I'm off for my good night's sleep in preparation for tomorrow! Good night!

No comments: