Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Consistency in training is key...but is consistency in training programs??

Ok, so I wasn't feeling the Jeff Galloway program for training for a half marathon.  It's nothing personal against him or the program, but maybe I'm just too new at all of this to jump right into it.  What I felt I was missing was the type of specific instruction for which I was looking.

For example, when you tell me to "Run 30 Minutes," I need to know:

  1. Pace
  2. Can I run/walk?
  3. Is there a distance for which I should be striving?
When you say "Cross-train," I need to know:

  1. Um...what do you recommend?
  2. Is it balls-to-the-wall the whole 30 minutes, or....?
  3. Does lifting weights count?
See?  Specific.  I need specific.  The thing is, I just don't trust myself yet.  I need to make it dummy-proof (rather, ME proof!)  So, after much research (again, I wish research burned more calories), I've decided to change to a program issued by "Walk Jog Run."  It is very user friendly, and you guessed it: very specific in its training guidelines/instruction.  It does have an app for $4.99 to map runs, and the reviews were 4.5/5.0 stars.  However, upon further review noticed users complained because the actual training programs are an additional $5.99.  I've chosen the cheap route for now (since I have commitment issues), and am working strictly off their website (free), and seems to be adequate support for now.  Here's the link for the Half Marathon training program.

Walk Jog Run Beginner 1/2 Marathon Training Program

What do you think?

What do you use?

No comments: