Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Pinocchio hated wires, and so do I

Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the extra 15 lbs I've put on eating like a runner and not being able to run, buuuut my back's really been giving me trouble.  Spasms make it feel as if I can't move my legs. Thankfully, I've been prescribed a pretty nice TENS unit that I attach and it provides me some pretty decent relief after some time.  I was told by the neurologist that I can wear it while working out.  No. Way.  It seems way too ridiculous to me.  There's four nodes that affix to my back, sending electrical pulses, with four wires trailing out, that attach to the machine that has to attach to my hip blah, blah, blah.  Seriously?  I don't really know who could work out, let alone run, with that thing on.  It made me mad and frustrated though, because I needed it in the first place to get going... I didn't want to do it at all.

But, this is what I've got, right?

So, I wired up for about 40 minutes to stimulate some muscle movement and try to right my mind.  I took off the unit, stretched, and set out for a run.  My nose would be growing if I said it was easy.  It was a slow, stiff run.  But I swear, with every step, I could feel myself loosening up.  My gait was awkward the whole run, but I got it out!  AND I felt great after!  And did I tell you I was on my annual Girl's Camping Trip in Muskegon, MI??  I took a dip in the 58 degree Lake Michigan later that day, and I have to tell you it felt great!

Vacation would have given me a great excuse to skip it...under the guise of "Mission: Relaxation."  But I'm so glad I didn't.  This was as much a mental boost as it was physical, and I really needed both.

No comments: