Monday, August 25, 2014

Pie irons, banana boats, and s'mores...oh my!

More camping this weekend! This time we spent the weekend with my parents, one of my sisters and her family, one of my cousins and her family, and even a visit from one of my other sisters with her family!  It's an annual trip to attend the Black Iron Days at Hartwick Pines State Park in Grayling, MI.  We've been going for about 29 years we figured... My family used to play music as part of the event; hammered dulcimers, autoharps, guitars, banjos, stand-up bass, etc...  That's another story for another time, though...

It's hard to eat healthy while camping, I think.  The desserts kill me! HA! I seriously indulged in all of the above and loved every single bite of it!  I DID get out for a run, though.  This summer has really spoiled us runners with pretty decent weather.  But this weekend, the humidity was nearly unbearable.  I haven't had to run in such weather since last year, and was not really conditioned for it. I only got in just short of 4 miles.  I'm not sure if that's really going to work off banana boats, s'mores, and junk food, but I'm proud I got something in.  


The trails are definitely worth the effort to get up and travel them!

So that was my weekend, in a nutshell.  How terrified was I to realize my Detroit Women's Half (DWH) is in just 4 short weeks!  So far this year, my longest run has only been 6 miles.  But since getting some new treatment, I've been able to be more consistent running, and am praying and believing I'll be able to safely increase my mileage (definitely not speed this year), enough to finish this race strong.  I learned my aunt just smoked the Crim this weekend, coming in under 2 hours, which was her goal!  Since we made a pact to run together during our DWH, I want to be able to run strong and solid so it's an enjoyable race for her, too!  = more motivation! :)

I have a 5 mile long run scheduled today, and am excited to see how it goes!!

No comments: