Monday, August 18, 2014

"I Run This Body"

I'd like to dedicate this post to Dorothy Beals, of MilePosts, and her motto: "I Run This Body."  (She even has awesome merchandise!)  Find her at www.mile-posts.com and @MilePosts on Twitter.

I've always admired her signature saying, but didn't "get it" until last night.  I headed out for what I had already categorized as a "slow run."  I felt the nagging presence of my back pain, reminding me it is still there, I was aware of my labored breathing and awkward gait, and noticed the twinge of irritation in my shins beginning, as if to say, "We're next to start bothering you!"

I didn't have my head phones in, and was just holding my phone in my hand with RunKeeper actives and playing my "Running" Playlist softly.  The first mile I fought my desire to quit, chalking it up to, "Oh well, this is all you're going to be able to do now."  But I had an odd sense of energy that kept propelling me anyway.  As I rounded the lap in my neighborhood (1.25 miles), I shrugged and decided, "Ok, let's try another lap."  During that lap, I quit focusing on myself and worked through the issues of the day, clearing my mind.  Maybe it was freeing the garbage out of my head that lightened me, because I decided I could do one more lap!  Then, I noticed something amazing:  I found myself in sync.  My brain and my body were finally connected and we were flying (my new flying, anyway)!  It felt amazing!  I felt like I was hovering above ground as I ran that last mile.  It reminded me of last year's training, where I was feeling good and keeping up such a pace.  I ended up running 1:40 faster that last mile!  It was than that I realized:  MS is not running my body.  I AM!  I bet it in this battle round, because I am the one running it.  I've not felt this empowered in...I can't even remember.

So, today, I have a new perspective on my life and on my training.  I am reminded again that I do not have to fall "victim" to whatever nonsense is plaguing me (symptoms, work quotas, life's drama...).  I. Run. This. Body!  I do.  Nothing else but me.  So thank you, Dorothy, for helping me to understand and embrace this.  This is a gift I can only hope to be able to repay someday!

Look her up and follow her adventures in training and family!  She's a true inspiration!

No comments: