Monday, August 11, 2014

Motivation Monday

So, I don't really have anything profound to offer up for "Motivation Monday," but I DO have a new-found motivator!

We went camping with my family in Caseville this weekend.  They are what I consider "real" runners.  They're fit, faster than me (not hard to do!), and don't have to schedule a run in the calendar to make it happen, it just does for them.  We decided that a Saturday run needed to happen, as we're all training for something (high school track, The Crim, Detroit Women's Half Marathon).  The guys took off and soon they were out of view.  My aunt stayed back with me.  It was so nice! We ran with no music or technology, and between small gasps of air (what I considered doing good-HA!), had conversation.  The longest she has run was last year's 10-mile Crim in Flint.  Early this year, she said she would run her first half-marathon this fall with me at the Detroit Women's Half.  Due to injury, she was losing confidence and admitted she did not think she would be able to run it.  After our Saturday run together, we found our pace was good for each other, and felt we could both keep it up together for the half!

I was struck with glee from having support, then fear; "Oh no! I really need to make this happen now!" HAHA!  It's just the motivation I need.  I want her first half experience to be positive, and I refuse to be an anchor.  I know you're supposed to make changes for yourself, rather than others.  But in this case, it works for both!

So that's my new motivation: I WILL be able to run and finish the Detroit Women's Half Marathon 9/21/14, and I WILL be able to keep up with my aunt!  I think the best part is, I'm excited again.  Running was getting daunting for me because I was being too competitive with myself.  Now that I can do it for fun and to help ensure my aunt's successful race, it's FUN again!!

What is motivating YOU lately??

No comments: