Monday, July 28, 2014

Love-Hate intervals

Is there anyone who really loves interval training??  Blech...

I have gotten serious about my Half Marathon training, which I acknowledge needs to include some interval training if I want to at least maintain my time from last year's.  Part of my favorite aspect of running is the whole "losing yourself" thing that happens when out for a run, and I can't seem to achieve that doing intervals/speed work... I think because it really is so much more "work" for me! LOL!

Here's the moral of today's story, though:

I committed to it, I did it, I survived it...and I even feel better for it!  I scheduled out every day from now until 9/21/14 for the Half.  On the schedule last week, I realized I was dreading all week the day I had speed work scheduled.  I committed to 8x400s and was DREADING it.  What I found during each segment, though, was relief I had counted one down, focus to maintain the increased speed (at least less than a 10-minute-mile pace, as that is fast for me), and determination to get through all 8.  I didn't realize I had that in me!  How is running still teaching me things three years later?! I LOVE IT!

Ok, so not that I'm looking forward to this week's interval day, but I know it doesn't have power over me, like I tried to give it last week.

Said in "sing-song:" awe-sommmmme  :D

No comments: