Thursday, September 4, 2014

Labor Day...labor!

Well, not in THAT sense of labor, buuuuut...

Let me explain:  For 4 years now, we have gone to Mackinaw to walk The Mighty Mac, the 5-mile long suspension bridge connecting the Lower Penninsula to the Upper Penninsula (for you out-of-staters ;)).  For the first 2 years, Vivian was in her stroller, safely locked in.  Last year, I'm not even going to lie:  I bought a leash to use with her because she was a runner and I couldn't rest without trying to put in some safety measures.  Luckily for us (her??), it was just too dang cold and rainy that morning to drag a potty-training 3-year-old across that bridge, so we sadly resigned to not going.  THIS year was a different story.  She's potty-trained, has several 5Ks under her belt, listens to us better (thank GOD); a good combination for a great morning walk.  Would you believe she chickened out early on?  Here's our "labor:"

...for nearly the whole 5 miles.  She's lucky she's so cute.  I can see why some parents in the animal kingdom eat their young... (clearly just kidding).

Amazing views, though:
 (YES! That's the water waaaay down there!)



I don't know why that bridge (it's beauty not even captured in the far background there), is just so beautiful to observe, but it is.  Never gets old.  

I'd like to say I got in some runs...and I COULD get the words out, buuuuut...I didn't actually DO the runs.  My Half Marathon is 18 days away...yikes.  BUT!  We did go on some pretty great hikes through the Headlands, where there's a designated International Dark Sky site!
Vivian chatting it up with friend, Aiden

Vi exploring the shores of Lake Michigan

So, we had a fantastic weekend with great friends.  Plenty of activity, but no runs...and I'm okay with that.  I hiked a 65+ pound, 4-ft tall (yes, you read that right) 4-year-old, 5 miles across a bridge.  We'll call that strength training.  ;)





No comments: