Monday, April 21, 2014

Brain = 1; Body = 0

I fell completely victim to over-thinking this weekend.  My plan was a 6-mile long run...something I had just completed last weekend, mind you.  That's it: 6 miles.  I had done it before.  I obsessed about my nutrition, enough protein, "carb loading," (again, just for 6 miles).   I was inside my head so much, I didn't get out...no run.  Period.  The disappointment in myself just festered and became more paralyzing for me.  I practically read 6 hours worth of running material!  I just couldn't do it...and if I'm honest; I still don't know why.  Nor have I gone on any kind of run yet!!  UGH!

This is where I wish I had a trainer.  What I realized is that my thinking/planning/training gets in the way of my actually doing anything.  I need a template: do this now, this tomorrow, etc...  Someone that I can trust to have my best interest considered and just tell me to get out there and do it.  Maybe it's simply the accountability thing, too?  I could waste 6 more hours trying to figure that out, too.

Bottom of the line: today is a beautiful day, low 70s, and I need to make it work today.  Whatever it is.  I've got to beat this mental game and retrain my brain to work for me, not against me!

Watching the Boston Marathon today completely inspired me, though.  AMAZING athletes representing the sport, the definition of commitment, and the result of mad training (see?! I would do better with a trainer! LOL!)!

What is it that elites and "real runners" have that powers them through this, or don't experience this at all?

No comments: