Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2016: What do you want to do, what will you do, and what can you do?

I fall into the excitement every year of the notion of using the New Year and boring winter following the excitement of the holidays to use as a marker of new-er beginnings, a time most available to focus on positive changes and new endeavors.  Honestly, I think it's a bit cliche', too, but ya feel what ya feel, ya know?

Resolutions are the buzz word this time of year, but we often forget the resolve that must be present to help make those resolutions come to fruition.  So I've found it breaks down like this most commonly:

  • There's resolutions I want to make (lose a bunch of weight, get fit, new job, move, everything everyone else wants...)
  • There's resolutions I will do (at least try to be more diligent in better food choices, meal-planning and preparing, consistent schedules for working out, blah blah blah, keep up with my blog because I've found it to be a safe outlet, an important act of getting out some thoughts and feelings that proves to be therapeutic and worthwhile.)
  • There's resolutions I can do.  
I came across this article that was a refreshing offering for resolutions "Only the Most Successful People Make."  I thought, "Hey.  What kinds of things are successful people committing to, and how can I implement that to be successful, too?"  What I loved about this list is it doesn't include trite things like "donate to a charity," or "adopt a road" or such things.  Don't get me wrong: if it's in your heart to do such things, PLEASE DO! I was part of a group that adopted a section of highway once and while it was hard work, loved driving that section later knowing I had a part in keeping the community safe and beautiful.  However, to reference these acts as something "only the most successful people do" in terms of a resolution, new-year-new-you, I think it's in poor taste.  Just my opinion, but I think resolutions should come from your heart, for something that blesses you.  Doing things for the glory doesn't seem congruent with that...

But I digress...

There were 17 resolutions, and I'll list some of my favs here.  The article is worth the read, so jump on over...after you finish reading this, of course... *wink*
  • Start one thing you've always planned to start. You don't even have to finish! The fear of not being able to finish something has very often stopped me from even starting.  I can certainly commit to simply START on something, then check it as accomplished! Maybe I'll be brave enough to take another step, maybe I have to wait until next year to do it; who cares?  I officially started it, something I never did before.
  • Ask one person for help.  NOT as a result of, "Look how brave you are recognizing your own limitations and seeking help..."  The article suggests that asking someone for help inherently acknowledges that persons skills and values, and conveys your respect and admiration for it.  What a great way to help someone feel great about just being them! AND that you get something from it to help in your efforts is just a huge bonus.  
  • Just once, refuse to care what other people think.  Yeah, I know, it reads a little prosaic.  We all know this is what we're supposed to do.  I think the point was applying the concept specifically to something we'd like to try, and not letting our fear of what other people will think about it stop us from doing it.  I recall being terrified that once others found out I was planning to run my first Half Marathon and my reasons why, I would be faced with their doubt as to whether I could actually do it, their judgment regarding why I needed to do it...and maybe just seeing my own fear in their eyes...  But this was one time in my life I managed to refuse to care and forged forward anyway; and WHAT A REWARD!!  This blog entry is actually about my second time running that Half Marathon...because I didn't care what others thought. *high five*
  • Embrace one thing another person does.  I mean, why recreate the wheel?! Look, we all have people we admire, would like to emulate, maybe even harness some envy over their abilities and accomplishments... How about pick something they do and incorporate it into your own routine/lifestyle?  Everything doesn't work for everyone, for sure...but I've learned feeding my emotions rarely gets me to my end goal, so I can stop embracing that as an option.  I'd like to embrace that chic at the gym's focus and seems to consistently show up at least 3 days/week...
So, these are just 4 of the 17.  Definitely read the original article, though.  I just found it to suggest such fun resolutions that I can see may easily lead to accomplishing some of those bigger resolutions later! It's helped to shift my perspective of what I want, will, and CAN do this new year.  *feeling hopeful*

How about you??

No comments: