Sunday, June 28, 2015

Run (make that Sit) the Plank

Well, on this 3rd anniversary of my beloved Run the Plank 5K, on this LAST SATURDAY IN JUNE we woke to real-feel of 47 degrees, constant rain, and 15 mph winds.  Given we were to have 3 kids under 5 years of age...we sadly decided to sit this one out.  It was forecasted to get worse throughout the day, too.

Am I not a real runner now?  Too much of a sissy?  I don't know...probably not, but they were thoughts that had crossed my mind anyway.  I haven't run in 10 days and I'm pretty sure there was not the historical PR to be made here.  Does that it make my excuse worse for not participating?  Probably, but I don't care.  For me it's been the little things that have made my running "fun" for me and motivated to keep trying.  A poor time in this race may have been a devastating blow.  I know that's not totally what it's about, but I know my limitations and right now I think it was a good call.

Ann, DD and kids still came and stayed the night and had a nice breakfast with us Saturday morning. Not a race, but even more satisfying.  <3

It's always amazing to me how quickly and easily I slip out of positive habits and running routines.  My birthday trip to the Keys started the very slippery slope into gluttony, laziness, and little motivation.  As I sit researching races today, though, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that I still get that excited feeling in my chest when thinking about, planning, and training for races.  I know I need and WANT to get back out there and do some kind of activity...just one more day off...  *wink*

I believe I'm suffering from a little sadness...and maybe a feeling of hopelessness?  I know my daily runs were combating that when I was participating in the RW Run-streak.  Another reason to get back at it.  My recent job interview went less-than-stellar.  Apparently, I've learned recently my family has to remain local for the next 4.5 years, and I hadn't necessarily planned on that.  My sister's getting married this weekend and I'm not feeling picture-worthy.  It all leads to this kind of "trapped" feeling.  These things can be quite overwhelming if not dealt with properly, so the risk of losing my mind if a pretty good motivator to get back out there.  Yikes.

No comments: