Sunday, September 14, 2014

Aaarrrghhh, matey!

No, it's not a Pirate-themed race.  It was either that title or something about being grateful, but I decided on this one because I think it's more funny.

It's helping me to stay light-hearted and not be overwhelmed, as Wednesday morning I woke up and seemed to have lost vision in my left eye.  Man, I was really struggling with my running before, now THIS...  It's taken a few days to get (mostly) beyond the equilibrium issue, so I'm feeling a little better with that.  The dizziness makes me stomach upset, so I haven't been wanting to eat as much...a plus for me.

I had on the schedule this Sunday (the 14th), the Run for the Wild race at the Detroit Zoo as my pre-race practice run for the 21st's Detroit Women's Half Marathon & 5K.  I was REALLY down, thinking I shouldn't do it at all.  Then I flirted with just doing the 5K and not the 10K I had planned on (per training schedule).  But once we got there, among everyone with their race bibs, the beautifully sunny morning...I couldn't resist.  I registered for the 10K.  I've done this race for 3 years now and generally really like it.  It winds through beautiful neighborhoods, briefly intersects with the golf course, and isn't just a straight out and back.  I would say, through no fault of the Zoo's planning, one may consider their trail running shoes!  I was shocked at the poor shape the roads were in!

Anyway, I expected it to be a painful hour and a half.  The first mile proved right.  My breathing was labored, I couldn't get comfortable, find my rhythm, then almost crippling shin pain!  I haven't experienced that in over a year! They had a water station at Mile 1, and I was so grateful.  I walked through it, enjoyed my whole cup.  I trotted off and tried to shake out the cobwebs, so to speak.  I mean, I was running 13-13:30 minute miles, come on!  A chic was edging up my left, not fast, but faster than I was going.  I started to pick up my pace for a minute and as we connected side-by-side, I paced her for a few, and it felt AWESOME.  I don't know what it was, but that got me focused and I dug deep.  I was able to find my groove immediately.  I was still fighting the urge to fall forward because of no sight in my left eye (it's so weird, you should try it), but I was running (said in best Forest impression)!! I was able to immediately shave one whole minute off my pace/mile, and KEPT it the whole race.  I only finished 8 minutes slower than I did last year, which for me, is almost impossible.  I needed this in a bad way.  I mean, did I mention I'm doing a Half Marathon next Sunday!? :D  I finally have a seed of confidence now.  I'm not looking for time, AT ALL.  I'm legitimately looking to finish.  MS really took me out of the scene this year, and I'm not letting it remove me completely.

That being said...it DID take a lot out of me today, and for some reason I continue to be surprised at how completely drained I can feel.  So, it's a laid back easy night of watching football for me.  A great ending to a great day!  :)

No comments: