Monday, June 23, 2014

"Up North" runs

I was lucky enough to be in Traverse City last week and got a couple runs in "up north."  Wow, just wow.  I saw on Michigan Runner Girl's blog a pic of a trail she was on near the old State Hospital, so my niece, nephews, husband, and daughter went on a hunt to find it...what a reward for us!
We actually found this trail, among others, and spent hours running through it.  It was a great time and a great run! 

One thing I was hoping to find on this vacation, was that spot in my soul that appreciates the hard work I put into running and training, and being grateful for it, instead of...constantly comparing myself to others.  I've talked about it here before, so you know it's an ongoing struggle for me.  I wouldn't say I found the spot, buuuut...I'm definitely getting closer... ;)  

One morning I got up to run, got my dog harnessed and leashed up, Garmin sats connected, annnd...the leash snapped, dog ran away, and I had to carry her 55 lbs back 1/2 a mile... I returned SO CRANKY! LOL! I hadn't felt like getting up anyway, and just wanted to sit back with my family, wake up with coffee while staring at the beautiful lake.  Instead, I hopped on my Twitter feed and looked to some of my regulars for motivation, inspiration, and no-excuses to not get back out there (@michrunnergirl, @acurls, @DETwomenshalf, @epicraces, @mileposts, @themotherrunner).  I did it! Ran 4 miles around Wolf Lake in Baldwin, MI, and was back in time for family breakfast cook-out!  It felt really awesome, as I know you can imagine.  It felt like I literally made hurdles that run, too: 1) getting back out there after making a short jaunt and necessary return, 2) fighting with my inner self to stop comparing myself every second and cadence of my run to others, and 3) just looking around, enjoying my scenery and the fact that I'm still able to be out there.  As the weather warms, my propensity for relapses and flare-ups has been increasing, creating barriers to improving my time, which also gets me down...  I have to be happy I am still able to be out there, and this weekend, I was! :)

No comments: