Monday, June 30, 2014

3rd Annual Run the Plank


Immanual Lutheran, St. Isidore, and St. Peter collaborate to sponsor a great race and raise funds for local Macomb County charities = A-MAZE-ING!!!

As I've said before, this was the first race I ever ran in 2012.  Last year, I had a big PR, so naturally I was looking forward to accomplishing the same this year! Am I right??

...until I didn't get in nearly the training required to do it.  Spine pain and muscle spasms kept me off the track and on my a$$.

I'm not going to lie here, and I'll preface this with I do feel totally ashamed of my thoughts here:  I knew people were going to beat me that had not beaten me before, and that was almost as painful an idea as not PRing.  BOOOOO!  I know, what a brat.   I had even recruited co-workers to this race, spreading the word about what a well organized and fun even it was (which it totally is, consider it for next year).  I was so stiff that I conceded and told my husband I would just walk it with him and my 4-year-old daughter.  While he was welcoming the company, he supported my trying to run it, reminding me it's about being out there and being mobile, not about beating my time or others'...blah, blah, blah.  In my heart, I knew he was right.  With prayer and medicine on race day, I decided to just run whatever I could, and use it as a launching point for training again.  Long story short, I PRd and was beaten by the people I knew would.  I was only relieved that I had beaten my last year's time so that I could say I met my goal, and inside focused on the fact that I was officially behind now.  Isn't that terrible?! My goodness...

So, there it is.  I'm STILL struggling with focusing on myself and my own journey, and not qualifying it against others', even when I meet my own goals.  Tell me I'm not the only one who does this.  And tell me how long this nonsense lasts in training and some ways to expedite getting over it!  ;P

No comments: