Monday, May 19, 2014

Paul DeWolf Memorial Hero Run

On Sunday, my girl friend and I ventured to Ann Arbor to participate in the first annual Paul DeWolf Memorial Hero Run.    It was a beautiful day, beautiful scenery, and a gathering of loving, sincere people to celebrate the memory of a son, brother, fiancé, and friend to many that tragically died too soon.  While I didn't know him, I get the sense that this tribute to him was one that would make him proud.  He cherished running and sent us off on a beautiful trail run through Nichols Arboretum.  This was my first trail run ever! It was AWESOME, I can't say enough about the scenery.  People were sharing memories and how they knew Paul.  Like many, I had never met him, but felt like I knew him through the stories of others.  I was proud to be part of such a beautiful memorial effort.

That aside, let me tell you else I learned during this event.  Macomb County has no hills to train on, and it showed! LOL! WOW were there some serious grades that sent my quads a-blazing! I'm humbly admitting I actually stopped and walked during this one...I haven't had to do that during a 5K in 2 years.  I wasn't there for time, though, so it didn't get into my head too much, which was a relief. I could actually just enjoy the run, surroundings, and conversations (which I NEVER do!).  If you get the opportunity to participate in this race next year, I highly recommend it...and try to get in some hill work prior! ;)

I also want to share one last little triumph of progress:  I did my killer FitRanX class Friday morning, actually ran 8 miles Saturday morning, this 5K Sunday morning, and a FitRanX class this morning.  For me, this is HUGE, and I'm ecstatic for having done (survived!) it!  I'm aiming to keep this motivation up.

...I "joke" that I'm working toward "MILF" status (tacky, I know, but it gives you the idea) by my 40th birthday.  I have 13 months, so I better keep this activity up! LOL!

Any races/milestones this weekend?

No comments: