Monday, May 5, 2014

Frosty Cinco de Mayo Morn

The 5th of May, and we wake up to a Frost Warning!  The good news is, that didn't stop me from getting some miles in this morning!  FIVE miles - woohoo!  It felt so good! So, on my quest for 100 miles in May...95 to go.  =P

I read on Run Like a Mother about your definition of "race."  When I put myself at the starting line, I know I will not win this race.  I'm not saying that to be defeatist, however at this point, it's to be realistic.  On the bigger track of life, of course I did win, because I got out there and did it in the first place; but for this purpose, that fact is beside the point.  When I picture myself in the corrals and running the course, what I realized a race has become to me is, is an opportunity to not be intimidated by others (they're so much faster than I, why aren't they breathing as hard as I, who am I kidding?!), and be genuinely happy for the success of their efforts.  The laws of the universe suggest the feeling will be mutual, and the camaraderie of running is born.  I've written before about the struggles of my mental game.  Turns out, for me anyway, it's something you have to keep consciously working on; you don't conquer it once and move on.  I use mantras.  I try visualization.  I think next I'm doing a vision board with my sister!  Whatever it takes, right??  =D   We'll see if/when I finish it, and I'll put a pic of it here.  Maybe it will inspire some of YOU to make your own vision boards to keep you on track, feeling positive and confident in yourself as you should!

No comments: