Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I made it over the hill, yet now I'm sliding back.

OH NO!  After such a successful race on Saturday, I really did harness that feeling and emotion to put into my training program this week...and was looking forward to it!

Alas...illness set in.  I believe it to be some kind of sinus issue with chest congestion.  I haven't been to the doctor yet, feeling I should be able to combat it myself, introducing increased Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium, fluids, and eucalyptus salve on my sinuses and chest.   I don't smell very sexy, but my raspy voice has appeal, I suppose.  ;)






I've had to take two days in a row off now.  I have this whirlwind of feelings and emotions ranging from anxiety about "losing" what I've recently accomplished, guilt because my training program will know I've had to skip out, sad because I'm honestly sick, and...a familiar ol' feeling of, "See?  I told you so."  That's a tough one to stand up against; this idea that I'm not really athletic, that just because I got through a couple 5Ks doesn't make me a real runner, and there was really no way I would sustain a 16-week training program to do something as monumental as a Half Marathon.

As the universe would have it, I came across very timely articles and blogs regarding the mental aspect of running being so much more demanding than the physical aspect.  With that in mind, I'm marching on.  I have figured out how to adjust my training schedule this week to accommodate my 4-mile run this weekend, even around camping.  I am re-training my 38-year-old brain to believe positively, and come to terms with we are training because I am a runner, in sickness and in health.  And we are running the Detroit Women's Half Marathon...in 81 more days! :)"THE
 KEY IS THAT I CONTROL MY LIFE: MY LIFE DOESN'T CONTROL ME" - GABRIEL

No comments: