Saturday, August 17, 2013

Run for the Hills!

Run for the Hills was a fun, extremely well organized (5K, 10K, and 1K Fun Run) race, with over 100 volunteers, perfect weather, and awesome energy in Farmington Hills this morning.

A list minute decision with some girl friends to run this race through some "rolling hills," a good training opportunity for me since I basically refuse hills and inclines on the 'mill.  Our race strategy was to stay together and get through it the 5K.  I have been running more consistently than my two friends.  We all made it in less than 38 minutes, which was GREAT!  It was one of my friend's first 5K, and to be under 38 is strong IMHO!

I felt really strong this morning, too...WAY better than last week's long run (8-miles).  I'm certain I could've gone faster, but it turns out it's a good thing I had a slow, steady pace, since I have my 9-10 mile long-run tomorrow.  (35 more days til my Half Marathon!)  As I said before, I've paid much attention to my diet this week, adding an increase of carbs 48-72 hours prior to my long-run, while hydrating appropriately.  The longer I stay "doing this running thing," the more I am exposed to our community and just how big it is.  Resources and 'lore around every Google-search corner...and thank goodness!  I think my adjustment in nutrition is was definitely helped me feel good this morning.

This morning's race was a welcomed attitude adjustment, and just in time.  Doubt was breeding in every thought this week after that horrible run last week.  Today gave me the confidence, psychologically, I'm going to need to get this longest-ever run on the books tomorrow.  Dare I say it; I'm looking forward to it??

Also, in the name of research today, I tried a Hammer Gel, as that is what will be served at the Half.  I tried the "Orange" flavor today...it was good! And while I still struggle some with the consistency, some how this one went down easier.  It was easy on the digestive system, too.  So far, so good, and I'm looking forward to trying more flavors and potentially more of their products.  They really have so many, to address all the different aspects of training.

Have any favorite energy products?

No comments: